Gluten Free Apple Crisp
Shoutout to our Sister-in-law Tatum for the recipe!
- Granny Smith Apples (5 to 7)
- Gluten Free Oats
- Almond Meal or Almond Flour
- Pecans or Walnuts (or both)
- Raw Honey or Organic Maple Syrup (we prefer maple syrup)
- Coconut Sugar
- Grass-fed Butter
- Greek Yogurt (Nancy’s whole milk Greek yogurt)
- Liquid (Water, Apple Cider, Apple Juice, Etc.)
- Lemon Juice
- Arrow Root Starch
- Cinnamon and Allspice
- 5 large or 7 small apples cored and sliced into ¼” wedges
- ⅓ cup honey or maple syrup
- ¼ cup water, or apple cider or apple juice (We use the water and apple cider combo)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot starch
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice or nutmeg
Oat, almond meal, and pecan or walnut topping
- 1 cup gluten free old-fashioned oats
- ½ cup firmly packed almond meal or almond flour
- ½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- ⅓ cup lightly packed coconut sugar
- ¼ teaspoon Redmond’s sea salt
- 4 tablespoons grass-fed butter (melted)
- ¼ cup plain yogurt (we use Nancy’s whole milk yogurt)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the 1/4” sliced apples in a 9” squared dish.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the liquid ingredients honey and water until combined. Add the cinnamon, lemon juice, starch, and allspice, and whisk until they are all mixed together. Pour the mixture over the apples and toss to combine.
- Place in oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- While that’s baking, in a regular sized mixing bowl, stir together the dry ingredients (oats, almond meal, pecans, walnuts, coconut sugar and salt). Add in and mix the melted butter and the yogurt. Mix until all of the flour and the mixture is moistened throughout.
- Once the apples have baked for 20 minutes, give them a stir and rearrange them evenly throughout the dish pan. Add small spoonfuls of the oat mixture evenly over the apples.
- Place back into the oven and bake for 25 to 30 more minutes, until the filling is bubbling around the edges and the top is nice and golden.
- Let it cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Serve with vanilla ice cream, (check out our 3 ingredient homemade ice cream recipe).
Being healthy doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy some amazing desserts!! Let us know how you enjoy the recipe!